Wednesday 6 August 2014

Update on seeds



The seeds which I bought from Cottage Herbery in March


all germinated beautifully and as one may expect I had not enough planting space for them all.



trayful of small gorgeous wild blue chicory (Cichoricum Intybus) plants became part of a birthday gift to one of my friends for her to sow in her meadow area.


I know the sowing instructions said to set seed in situ but hey ho, some rules are just meant to be broken.


Besides, I wouldn't have had the enjoyment of raising them. 
My treat too!

She is however an expert plantswoman so they are in safe hands. I'm sure they'll all take and give a superb display. 




 The other plant she wanted was Lathyrus odorata 'Cuprani' so a small pot of these accompanied the wild chicory. 

Finally, a copy of Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden book 

Beth Chatto's Gravel Garden

completed the gift which I think will see her through for another year.

In my own garden the rest of the new plantings has taken a beating from aphid and caterpillar infestation.

Although the sweet peas and Nasturtium 'Indian Red'



 have resisted the ravages I'm particularly worried about Mrs Cholmondeley who I think has come down with the dreaded clematis wilt.

Having taken the RHS advice to remove all infected foliage and destroy I have cut it back to the ground and hope it will recover. 

Counselling has been offered to my husband who chose the plant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment