Monday 24 March 2014

Another discovery

On another of our walks around York I discovered a wonderful little garden,
completely new to me. Tucked away behind a high wall and backing onto the ancient city walls it looks absolutely amazing.

Not the best time of year to visit and closed on Sundays I managed to get a great view from the walls. It lies outside St Anthony's Hall on Peasholme Green.




The entrance is through a metal gate on the far side of the photo.

It does not appear to have a designated website so this is the best link I could find.


I think the impact comes from its size, which is unbelievable given the central site.
I viewed it from the walls and could not believe how, from the far side, it is totally hidden from passers by. It's a little oasis in what is a very busy routeway into and out of the city centre.



There's plenty of colour, even at this time of year and a terrific collection of hellebores which looked fantastic in the woodland area.

Designed and planted as a sensory garden by students from Bishop Burton college in 2010 you really need to get down there and in amongst the plants.

I'm sure its success lies not only in the appeal to those who are visually impaired but to those of us who occasionally need a refuge from everyday hustle and bustle. Just looking at it gave me a sense of calm and peace. And I wasn't even in it.
Excellent job; good design and well executed.

Although it is next to the Quilt Museum it gets only a passing mention on their website.
So if you would like to visit, the directions are here:-


I wonder how many people scurry past this on their way to or from the car parks or shops.

                     Needless to say this is on my "Return visit " list. 

  Preferably when it's open next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment