Monday 9 June 2014

Beth Chatto

As part of my London treat I was lucky enough to be able to visit the famous Beth Chatto's garden just outside Colchester.


This was on my French nurseryman's annual pilgrimage list and he sang its praises each time I saw him. I was embarrassed to admit I had never been. 
Not any more.

This is what greets you when you leave the new car park.


And that's before you pay for entry!

As I'm sure you know, the garden is famous for both gravel and boggy planting.

Two apposite conditions and both are treated superbly in this place.

As you descend the path you can see four ponds. Each has a different feel, different planting and a different ambience. 

Most peoples' favourite (and mine) is the second one.


How magical and romantic, the kind of scene Monet could have painted.

And the planting is simply stunning.


The broad canvas of this little valley is swamped with greenery and plants galore. What vision to place them all just so.


                   

I love the counterpoint of form, texture and colour.

How wonderful to have created all this and to be lucky enough to live here. 

But how much greater to share it with other garden lovers.




No comments:

Post a Comment